Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Web Comics!

Hey everyone! Currently I’m working through some super-fun (i.e. stressful and unpleasant) emotional issues, and while this blog is in many respects a great way to get free therapy while working through the stress, I don’t particularly want to discuss these issues here and now. This is partly due to the fact that I have alluded to these issues in previous posts (and I hate redundant themes), and partly because I don’t want to write posts that are dripping in pathos. Instead, in order to hold things over until I can compose a real post, I’m going to share with you all some great web comics that I’ve either just started reading, or that I’ve been reading for ages.

Some of these comics helped me deal with being a closet transsexual—this was waaaaaay back when I was still in high school, running off on my free periods to buy really meretricious skirts from the mall (oh, I was young with retarded fashion sense). The first comic I have to share with you is, in fact, the first web comic I ever read! Venus Envy, written by Erin Lindsey has been ongoing, in one form or another, since 2001 (well before I even really came out to myself!), and it’s still going stronger than ever today. It’s the story of a trans girl still in high school, dealing with parents, siblings, and the regular stresses of adolescence, all while incorporating uniquely trans issues! The story has somewhat wavered recently as the art has morphed; I’m not sure how I feel about more recent posts, though many of the archives still have a lot of sentimental meaning for me.

Next I want to introduce you to Transe-Generation, written by Matt Nishi. Unfortunately this comic is no longer being updated, though it’s still worth a read. It’s sort of like a transgender version of the far side—it’s a lot of single-panel comics that allow the reader to laugh at the many of the aspects of being transgender. We all know that being trans can be extremely stressful at times, and as Coyote would say, being able to laugh at ourselves is great medicine.

Next on our journey is Misfile. Like Venus Envy and Transe-Generation, I’ve followed this one, written by Chris Hazelton, for a long time. This is possibly unfortunate for me because I feel like the story has stalled and is becoming tired, even though new characters are continually added to the cast. My history with the comic means, however, that I’m stuck reading it, for better or worse, until it either jumps the shark or concludes. In short, Misfile is about an angel who fucks up and accidentally turns a boy into a girl at the same time he accidentally erases two years of another girl’s life. The story is about these two unfortunate people trying to scratch out any sense of normalcy in their unhappy predicaments all while the helping the angel find a way back into heaven so he can correct the mistakes. It’s worth a bit of a read, especially if you like cars.

Then there’s The Wotch, produced by Anne Onymous and Robin Ericson...this one isn’t overtly about trans people at all. Instead, The Wotch follows the adventures of a young girl with amazing magical powers. What makes this comic trans-related is how this girl frequently uses her power to turn two of her closest friends into girls. Er...yeah. It’s a lot better than I’m making it sound, though I have to admit I haven’t kept up with reading it.

Thus concludes the web comics that I “grew up” with. Recently I’ve stumbled on a couple of others, some of which I can give glowing recommendations, others that I can only offer up as something you might want to look at. The first of these is Closet Space by Jenn Dolari. I have to admit, I haven’t read this one, and the art work kind of turns me off (it has a sort of late 80s, early 90s anime feel about it). The story follows a couple of trans women who become roommates, and from there it’s difficult to explain. It deals with a lot of life circumstances, many of which are sad...some of which are disconcertingly random and surreal. Overall, it’s worth at least checking out. It didn’t float my boat, but loads of people love the story.

Next we have Between the Lines by...a huge team of people. The art on this one is a little inconsistent, and like most of the comics I’m reviewing its writing isn’t always phenomenal. The story is still in its infancy and therefore hasn’t really had much time to mature. However, that said, I found it to be a very enjoyable read, and many of the panels where the art is good, it’s surprisingly pleasing to the eye...though this could also be nostalgia talking (I know lots of people don’t like this art style. I think it’s pretty groovy...in places. As I said, it’s inconsistent because they’ve had several artists work on it, though the color looks like it has been done using pastels—this gives a really light and beautiful effect, even when the line drawings aren’t superb). Definitely worth a read through, though be warned it deals with some heavy issues, including self injury/suicide, child abuse, drug abuse, sexuality, etc.

The last comic I have to recommend is Trans Girl Diaries is written by Evelyn P. It’s somewhat like Matt Nishi’s Transe-Generation in that it frequently looks at the lighter side of being trans. Unlike Nishi’s comic, though, TGD has several posts that are far, far from funny. Many of the posts are shockingly serious, terrifying, heartbreaking, or just outright depressing. This mix of subject matter is to be expected, however, as the comic reads like a diary, chronicling many events common to trans people (especially trans women) while it also confronts transphobia. Definitely worth a read.

Well, that’s all I’ve got. I know of about five other trans-related comics floating around, though I cannot really recommend them because I either a. completely cannot stand them or b. I haven’t read them. Hopefully this brief list is of interest to some of you; reading trans web comics was a big part of my growth from a closeted trans girl, through my coming out, and well into my transition. Clearly I’m still hooked as I still check many of these for updates daily/weekly. To me, these web comics have been as instrumental to my coming out and seeking self acceptance as any transgender book, and I hope that you all can find similar value in them. Sure, the writing is often corny, and some of the art isn’t on par with a lot of other comics around—but these web comics have filled a major gap. Prior to comics like Venus Envy and Transe-Generation, there really weren’t any web comics around that dealt with transgender issues. At times, the impact of these stories can seem intangible because they are freely available and it’s therefore difficult to measure the importance they have had on the community—folks like Erin Lindsey, Jenn Dolari et al may not be celebrities on the same level as folks like Leslie Feinberg or Jenny Boylan, but they nonetheless clearly influence folks within the community—especially young, internet-savvy kids like me. I cannot suggest these comics enough to anyone, young or old. They fill an amazing niche, artfully taking our stories to the masses in an accessible way.

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick extra note about Trans Girl Diaries: I clearly didn't get that far into the comic before recommending it, as I missed something major! The comic does evolve into a more regular storyline, complete with a cast of characters...this somewhat changes the brief overview I give, though only slightly. It still interjects self-contained jokes/subjects like I said in my review.Just add to that a regular plot and you're halfway there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. transe-generation is back up as http:// second-puberty.webcomic.ws

    ReplyDelete